From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo World Domination. a 10 step guide
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:22:15
1 On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:41:45 -0400
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Thomas Cort wrote:
5 > > - Drop all arches and Gentoo/Alt projects except Linux on amd64,
6 > > ppc32/64, sparc, and x86
7 >
8 > I can perhaps see some of this stuff dying. Like all of SPanKY's
9 > weird ass arches; I have no idea why they are in the tree. Cool
10 > yes...Useful? debatable.
11
12 My view is that while they're being actively supported, there's no
13 reason to remove them. Granted their mostly SpanKY's babies, but so
14 what? If you're not using those arches, you don't need to get
15 involved. Incidentally you only have to lurk in #gentoo-embedded to
16 see there are users trying Gentoo on all sorts of bizarre boxes; it's
17 something that is much less painful and much more flexible with Gentoo
18 than with any other distribution.
19
20 I don't like the idea that only stuff used by large groups should be in
21 the tree. I think the criteria should hinge primarily on whether stuff
22 has an active Gentoo maintainer.
25 Kevin F. Quinn