From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Non-Dev Contributors and the Tree
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 18:09:04
1 On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 07:43 -0400, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > What I would like to propose is that we have an official (yes, official)
3 > cvs overlay that is used by developers *and* contributors to commit new
4 > ebuilds and changes to. Mirrors would still pull, as they always have,
5 > from the gentoo-x86 cvs repo. "Official" Gentoo developers would then be
6 > able to take from the overlay and commit to the main tree at will, but
7 > have a common stomping ground for contributors and developers to work in
8 > without fear of breaking the rest of the tree. We reward those users
9 > (pardon the terms if you find that condescending, its not intended as
10 > such) with the drive and passion, but not the means, resources, or time,
11 > by making them contributors to this overlay, where they can make cvs
12 > commits.
13 >
14 > This overlay wouldn't necessarily need to be the whole of the tree,
15 > either. Some areas, such as profiles, could be absent, as well as select
16 > projects (perhaps the kernel and toolchain portions?). These
17 > contributors wouldn't need to have a flood of @gentoo.org email
18 > addresses - they are only contributors who, for whatever reason, are not
19 > actually full scale developers.
20
21 I'm just asking, but isn't this exactly what Sunrise is supposed to be?
22
23 Isn't this the reason it was approved by the previous Council?
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
28 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
29 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
30 Gentoo Foundation