From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] {Guide,Project,Foo}XML too confusing for many devs?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:56:25
1 On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:05:58 -0700 (PDT)
2 "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > do you as a developer find writing web pages to be confusing or
5 > difficult?
6
7 No.
8
9 > Is there not a good tutorial for learning our webpage XML syntax?
10
11 For my use, I've found the available docs sufficient.
12
13 > Do you find that you bump up against restrictions in the DTD or other
14 > problems that prevent you from expressing yourself properly?
15
16 No. I do try to keep things simple, which may be why.
17
18 > Do you have any idea how to actually go about extending GuideXML
19 > (or the other XML's we provide) Have you ever tried?
20
21 No and no - I've never had the need.
22
23 > Could we improve training with regards to any of this?
24
25 Do we really expect people to hack around with the DTDs? I thought the
26 whole point is that you stick to the stuff provided by GuideXML. We're
27 not writing fancy interactive websites - we're just writing some docs.
28
29 All that said, I've only ever written single-page docs. I don't _like_
30 GuideXML, but have no inclination to do anything differently for
31 Gentoo website stuff, and it's sufficient for the stuff I've used it
32 for.
33
34 I wouldn't want to write anything sizable in XML, as the markup just
35 gets in the way, much like many other markup languages (LaTeX, GROFF
36 etc). Docutils' RST (reStructuredText) is much better in this regard;
37 its markup is much less intrusive than anything else I've used.
40 Kevin F. Quinn