From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: UTF-8 locale by default
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:26:07
1 Peter Stuge posted on Thu, 02 Aug 2012 07:36:07 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >> The fact that "other distros do it" does not constitute justification
5 >> for us to do it.
6 >
7 > Unfortunately that exact reason, along with "Fedora is doing it", was
8 > cited by a very active developer as reason to reject technical points
9 > which I tried to make a few times.
10 >
11 > But that is off-topic. Let's leave it for later. All I'm saying is don't
12 > underestimate pack mentality.
13
14 I don't know if it applies here, but there's a difference between "other
15 distros do it", and "that's the way upstream created it". If upstream is
16 effectively another distro, the first might be true as well, but gentoo
17 has always had a policy of trying to do it upstream's way unless there's
18 a good reason not to, and that's quite different than just following the
19 distro pack. (You likely know this already, but other readers may not,
20 so I'm emphasizing it.)
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman