From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] auto updating untouched config files
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 15:21:56
1 On 05/02/04 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 02 May 2004 16:01, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > > On 05/02/04 Stuart Herbert wrote:
5 > > > On Sunday 02 May 2004 15:27, Marius Mauch wrote:
6 > > > > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/16090
7 > > >
8 > > > Hmmm ... according to that, you're still planning to have the
9 > > > ._cfg files?
10 > >
11 > > Yes, but they will just be diffs of the changes between the old and
12 > > new original config files, so for example you won't get asked to
13 > > update/etc/fstab for each baselayout update, and if there are
14 > > changes you don't risk to nuke your modified version completely.
15 > >
16 > > Marius
17 >
18 > Doesn't that create a risk that all these diff files will just build
19 > up until the root file system gets full? I imagine a lot of our users
20 > won't know / think to do an ls -a under /etc.
21 >
22 > Also - won't etc-config still pick these up? :(
23
24 Well, the idea is to modify etc-update to handle the diffs ;) I don't
25 really want to re-educate our whole userbase away from etc-update and to
26 change all docs.
27
28 Marius
33 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
34 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.