From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Akamai secure memory allocator for OpenSSL?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 08:48:47
1 Am 13.04.2014 22:42, schrieb Joshua Kinard:
2 > So one of the side-discussions happening after Heartbleed was the fact that
3 > OpenSSL has its own memory allocator code that effectively mitigates any C
4 > library-provided exploit mitigations (as discussed on the openbsd-misc ML at
5 > [1] and Ted Unangst's blogs at [2] and [3]). This is partially why there's
6 > so much "interesting" data to be sniffed from a server's memory via the
7 > heartbleed response packets -- that memory wasn't really initialized to
8 > random data or zero'd upon malloc(), nor garbage-collected upon free().
9 >
10 > Taking place over on the openssl-users ML, someone from Akamai posted a new
11 > secure memory allocator patch[4][5] that they have been using in production
12 > for about a decade. That patch was cleaned up, diff'ed against
13 > openssl-1.0.1g, and posted to openssl-dev here:
14 > https://marc.info/?l=openssl-dev&m=139733477712798&q=p5
15 >
16 > It basically provides a secure memory area protected by guard pages for
17 > sensitive data, like RSA private keys, so that if another Heartbleed-like
18 > event occurs, things won't be as bad. Hopefully...
19 >
20 > Is this something we want to look at adding to our openssl copy via an
21 > optional USE flag (default off)?
22
23 Not really, no. I would rather wait until other people have reviewed
24 and/or it has been pulled into openssl.
25
26 To cite the Akamai dev who posted the patch [1]:
27 "Let me restate that: *do not just take this patch and put it into
28 production without careful review.*"
29
30 Best,
31 Tiziano