From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 19:47:40
1 > qt - GLOBAL use flag that causes the package to build against the good
2 > version
3 > for that package.
4 >
5 > qt3, qt4... - LOCAL use flags to build against specific versions of
6 > qt when it makes sense on a per-package basis and when it's deemed to
7 > be reasonable by the package maintainer. Easy to keep track of because
8 > they'd all be in use.local.desc.
9
10 This is exactly what I recommend. It requires no end user changes to make
11 it work.
14 The only downside to this is that using "qt" isn't explicit in which
15 version it pulls in. To that, I say: who cares? That only seemingly
16 becomes valid when someone wants to "rid their system of a specific
17 version of Qt", which if they're advanced enough to think they need to do
18 that they can probably hack around enough to figure out that packages
19 depend on the version of Qt they want to nuke.
20
21 I seriously doubt there will ever be many packages that support both at
22 the same time. For those, we'll handle them in the best way we can at the
23 time, be it a qt3 flag, a separate package instance, or other.
24
25 Moreso, people will release new packages of existing products that use Qt4
26 instead of Qt3. This is where it gets interesting: if somelibrary-3.0
27 depends on Qt3 and somelibrary-4.0 depends on Qt4, do we slot them so they
28 can both be installed at the same time? Seems reasonable to do so, but
29 you run into the issue of how to handle version dependencies across slots
30 of the same package...something portage doesn't do very gracefully at the
31 moment.
32
33 Oh, the joys. :)
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list