From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Client-serve flags (again ;) (was Re: New eclass: gkrellm-plugin)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 03:10:04
1 On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 12:56:51AM +0100, Thomas R?sner wrote:
2 > I can understand that rationale for the client part, but which packages
3 > would depend on the server part of e.g. MySQL if they could?
4 > And building the server part to get the small client lib is a larger
5 > PITA than building the client lib to get the server, no?
6 >
7 > In other words: this is a sound argument against the client use flag,
8 > but I don't think it's quite as convincing regarding the server flag,
9 > which is more important IMHO.
10 >
11 > Btw, I agree that the best thing to do would be to prompt upstream to
12 > split those packages (where it makes sense), which is the preferred way
13 > to handle this here (at least I read this somewhere, does it still
14 > apply?), but does anybody do that actually? To stay with the MySQL
15 > example, did anyone try to suggest to MySQL AB that seperate releases
16 > for the client part* would be nice?
17 It depends hugely on the structure of the code-base. In MySQL for
18 example, if you wanted to build only the server, you'd still need a big
19 hunk of the shared code (it's one set of code, that is compiled in two
20 different ways, once for the client, and once for the server), and
21 building the server actually requires building the client anyway (plus
22 the proper shared libs) thus splitting out the source for lib, client,
23 server does not make sense.
24
25 One of the other arguments I have against the split, and it applies to
26 both CVS and MySQL - is that if you don't build the server, you cannot
27 use src_test.
30 Robin Hugh Johnson
31 Gentoo Linux Developer
32 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
33 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85