From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] New lists and their usage
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:24:45
1 OK. I'm sure this will probably bring upon a ton of responses, but
2 let's hope they all stay on-topic. I'm not posting this to
3 gentoo-project since I think it belongs here until this is agreed upon.
4
5 So, let's get started:
6
7 gentoo-dev: This list is for technical discussion, primarily between
8 developers, about development and development-related issues that
9 directly affect the tree or current projects. For now, no changes are
10 made to this list.
11
12 gentoo-dev-announce: This is the announcement list for
13 development-related stuff. Now, there's two ideas for how to run the
14 list, that I can think of, but I'm sure there's others.
15
16 - Make the list set reply-to to gentoo-dev and automatically copy any
17 messages from this list to gentoo-dev...
18
19 - Make the list *not* set *any* reply-to, nor strip it, and allow people
20 to use the list to announce development-related stuff from *any* list...
21 For example, if I'm about to start a discussion on possible changes to
22 the releases, I could send a message to gentoo-dev-announce, which will
23 start the thread, with gentoo-releng set as the reply-to. I would be
24 responsible for making sure the email was also sent to gentoo-releng
25 myself.
26
27 gentoo-projects: This list is for... what exactly? I've not really
28 figured that one out just yet. I know it is supposed to be pretty much
29 anything that doesn't fit into gentoo-dev or another project-specific
30 list. Am I correct here? Is this what everyone thinks this list is
31 supposed to be used for?
32
33 Anyway, I'd like for us to come up with an agreement on the usage of
34 these lists so we can put them into the policies and start using them
35 that way. Remember that there hasn't been consensus (yet) on the usage
36 of the lists, so we need to do that as soon as possible.
39 Chris Gianelloni
40 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
41 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
42 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
43 Gentoo Foundation