From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] explicit -r0 in ebuild filename
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 02:48:21
1 On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:39:02 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > The reason I'm emailing -dev is to ensure there is consensus on
4 > leaving off an explicit -r0 in the ebuild name- long term, it seems
5 > folks always followed the rule but it needs to be codified due to
6 > problems with uniquely identifying the ebuild in the repo.
7
8 Uniquely indentifying an ebuild is an issue regardless of whether or
9 not -r0 is allowed. See PMS section 2.4.
10
11 Even ignoring the unique identifiers, banning explicit -r0 globally is
12 inconsistent anyway. We already allow and use _alpha and _alpha0 (which
13 mean the same thing) and so on. You'd also be forcing special-casing of
14 eclasses that would otherwise just use PVR in dep strings.
15
16 Please think things through before asking to have pkgcore's bugs 'fixed'
17 via specification next time...
20 Ciaran McCreesh