From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removal of auto-use in portage-2.0.54
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:53:24
1 On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 17:48 +0100, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 05:12:45PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > As I said earlier, we'd like to get rid of the nasty auto-use feature,
4 > > including the support for the USE_ORDER variable. Right now we intend
5 > > this for 2.0.54 (might not be the final version number) unless there are
6 > > major objections to it.
7 >
8 > What will happen to the USE flags currently in use.defaults when this
9 > is removed? Perhaps some of them be moved to the profiles instead?
10
11 This would be the best way to go about it, yes.
12
13 > I'm mostly concerned about the 'udev' USE flag. Some packages rely on
14 > this to be able to function correctly on an udev enabled system.
15 > Since udev seems to be the default choice for our default-linux
16 > profiles, it would make sense to also set USE=udev in those profiles?
17
18 I think it should be set in default-linux. This means it would need to
19 be use.mask'd on any 2.4 profiles. The real issue here is what happens
20 to anyone that uses both 2.4 and 2.6 from the same profile?
23 Chris Gianelloni
24 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
25 x86 Architecture Team
26 Games - Developer