From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Auto adding packages to world was -> Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 05:14:59
1 On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:00:30 +1000
2 "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > My point was that --unmerge is not intended to be dependency-aware.
5 > --depclean is. As far as I can tell, that is the point others have
6 > been trying to make as well, when pointing out the differences
7 > between -c and -C.
8
9 Sure but that is easily addressed.
10
11 How does emerge know a package is in system profile or a set?
12 Similar methods or others can be used to determine if a user installed
13 a package.
14
15 In a clean scenario, with a world file that ONLY contains stuff the
16 user merged directly. Then emerge could simply check that file, against
17 the stuff it already checks now.
18
19 Is it in system?
20 Is it in a set?
21 Is it in world?
22 If no to all, its a dep, warn!
23
24 It is really NOT complex, nor does it require complex depgraph or any
25 of the function of --depclean/-c.
26
27 Thus I say once again, mentioning anything to do with depclean is not
28 relevant and side tracks the discussion. There is no need. If you did
29 want to actually see if any deps existed. All you need is to see if
30 there is 1 installed package that needs the one a user is trying to
31 install. No need for a complete depgrah etc.
32
33 There are several ways to go about this that are not complex.
36 William L. Thomson Jr.