From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed package move
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 13:17:39
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 13:24, Dan Meltzer wrote:
2 > On 5/18/06, Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
3 > > The package sys-apps/paludis is in the wrong category. It is a
4 > > package manager on par with rpm, dpkg, etc. Those live in app-arch.
5 > >
6 > > Therefore I propose to move the paludis package to app-arch.
7 > >
8 > > It is not a system package at all. It does not even cooperate with
9 > > system.
10 > >
11 > > Paul
12 >
13 > " <longdescription lang="en">
14 > The app-arch category contains tools for archiving, compressing
15 > and uncompressing files or groups of files.
16 > </longdescription>"
17 >
18 > paladius does just as much archiving, compressing, and uncompressing
19 > as portage... actually less without binpkg support. Maybe it's not a
20 > sys-app, but it sure isn't an archive app.
21
22 It does it as much as rpm and dpkg do. As I don't think it is a good idea
23 to create a app-pkgmanager group I think it is best to put it with the
24 other package managers in the tree.
25
26 In any case it does not belong in sys-. It is not comparable with portage
27 as it is an unsupported, third-party, package manager. Worst of all,
28 conflicts with the official package manager. As anything in sys- is
29 system and as such core to the distribution, I think that anything which
30 does not cooperate with system, but even conflicts with it does not
31 belong there.
32
33 Paul
36 Paul de Vrieze