From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE=-native-symlinks for gcc-config and binutils-config
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 09:48:55
1 On Sat, 23 May 2020 22:41:02 -0400
2 Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 5:36 PM Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > 'tc-directly' tracker https://bugs.gentoo.org/243502 tracks
7 > > packages that don't respect users' CC/AR/LD flags.
8 > >
9 > > I added new USE=-native-symlinks mode for gcc-config and
10 > > binutils-config to ease detection of such packages.
11 > >
12 > > Native symlinks are still installed by default. Nothing should
13 > > break for users who use default USE flags.
14 > >
15 > > USE=-native-symlinks removes a bunch of links that most packages
16 > > use by default until are overridden explicitly. Incomplete list is:
17 > > - /lib/cpp
18 > > - /usr/bin/{gcc,cc,g++,c++,...}
19 > > - /usr/bin/{as,ld,ranlib,dwp,...}
20 > >
21 > > The rule of thumb is: if a tool does not have ${CTARGET}- prefix
22 > > it will probably disappear with USE=-native-symlinks.
23 > >
24 > > (At least eventually) 'emerge' should still be able to build most
25 > > of packages in such environment. I expect initial breakage will be
26 > > huge though.
27 >
28 > Could you please add this flag to package.use.force?
29
30 Added as https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=0f8b5b847429642977d4c0497068a93222ff3136
31
32 > I don't think we
33 > want to give people the impression that this is a well-supported
34 > configuration. I would only expect people to disable this if they want
35 > to break their system intentionally.
36
37 Yeah, today it's certainly a way to get your system in a miserable state.
38 My hope is that USE=-native-symlinks can get you a working Gentoo in a
39 near future by only fixing real package problems and limitations of their
40 build systems.
44 Sergei