From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Providing a `service` scripts that speaks OpenRC and systemd
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 03:29:48
1 Austin English wrote:
2 > (Note: serious discussion, please take systemd trolling elsewhere).
3 >
4 > While having the pleasure of working with some proprietary software
5 > recently, I was asked to run `service foo restart`, and was surprised to
6 > see:
7 > foobar ~ # service foo restart
8 > * service: service `foo' does not exist
9 >
10 > Since `systemctl restart foo` works, I had a workaround anyway.
11 >
12 > Talking with Whubbs about it, I found that our service script only
13 > supports OpenRC, via rc-service. I looked around, and from what I can
14 > tell, most distros ship a service tool for all supported init systems. I.e.,
15 > Debian/Ubuntu: supports sysvinit and systemd via init-system-helpers
16 > CentOS/Fedora: provides support for systemd via initscripts
17 > OpenSUSE: has a working service binary for systemd (according to #suse)
18 >
19 > I'd like to propose moving `service` out of OpenRC and into a separate
20 > package that OpenRC and systemd can both use. It's very possible that we
21 > could simply package/use another distro's scripts (I haven't evaluated
22 > that though).
25 I thought this was familiar.  This was discussed not long ago and as far
26 as I can tell, nothing came of it.
27
28 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/9bd54475fc23b9c265984c5a91129710
31 Hope that link works, if not, this is the subject of the discussion.
32
33 "[openrc] [systemd] make `service` common for both OpenRC and SystemD
34 (like Debian/Ubuntu/whatever did)"
35
36 It has a few replies.
37