From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 19:25:19
1 On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 10:56:03 -0800
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 > Every software product has an end of life. I think if a system hasn't
4 > been updated in the last 2 years or so, then it's fair to assume that
5 > it will never be updated. So, all relevant versions of portage should
6 > simply show a warning message if the encounter an ebuild name such as
7 > "app-foo/bar-1.0.0-r1-e99.ebuild".
8
9 It's worth noting that "showing a warning message" will result in
10 zillions of freaking out users, and that we want to be able to
11 introduce new EAPIs without having a stable Portage version that
12 handles it around.
15 Ciaran McCreesh