From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>, linux.gentoo.dev@××××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 05:40:56
1 On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 14 December 2011 18:43:33 Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Leho Kraav <leho@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > i'd be really happy if someone took care of
5 >> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/150031 :>
6 >> >
7 >> > "include more info about binpkg in file name"
8 >>
9 >> That is great, but its not a 6 month project...
10 >
11 > is it though ?  i'm inclined to mark INVALID.  hijacking filenames for metadata
12 > is a tuuuuuuuuuuurrible idea.
13
14 I agree. It's along the same lines as only using file extensions for
15 determining the filetype (and we all know how that turned out...). It
16 *does* have the advantage of being really fast, though.
17
18 Nevertheless, the basic bug is about changing the distfile repository
19 format in such a way that a single repo can contain several distfiles
20 built with differing build conditions. Putting metadata in the
21 filename is only one way of ensuring that.
24 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
25
26 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team