From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>,××××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 05:40:56
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 December 2011 18:43:33 Alec Warner wrote: >> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Leho Kraav <leho@×××××.com> wrote: >> > i'd be really happy if someone took care of >> > :> >> > >> > "include more info about binpkg in file name" >> >> That is great, but its not a 6 month project... > > is it though ?  i'm inclined to mark INVALID.  hijacking filenames for metadata > is a tuuuuuuuuuuurrible idea.
I agree. It's along the same lines as only using file extensions for determining the filetype (and we all know how that turned out...). It *does* have the advantage of being really fast, though. Nevertheless, the basic bug is about changing the distfile repository format in such a way that a single repo can contain several distfiles built with differing build conditions. Putting metadata in the filename is only one way of ensuring that. -- ~Nirbheek Chauhan Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>