From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 04:17:50
1 Nick Dimiduk wrote:
2
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 >
5 >> Yes. There're at least four Gentoo users *that I know personally* who
6 >> will be using this. So far as I know, I've never met anyone who uses
7 >> clisp on Gentoo.
10 > I use clisp on Gentoo, though we've never met.
11
12 I use clisp ... and cmucl and sbcl and gcl and guile. And sometimes
13 Java. And often Fortran. And *all* on Gentoo. I use LISP for things LISP
14 is good at, R for things R is good at, Perl for things Perl is good at,
15 etc. And I'd use A Plus for things it's good at if you had it in Portage!
16
17 I took a look at "the language with the name offensive to some". It's a
18 toy language -- an undergrad or maybe even high school computer science
19 exercise. If all I had to work with was an Altair or a KIM-1, I'd sure
20 experiment with it. It has exactly one thing going for it -- compactness.
21
22 Well, guess what -- I have a Pentium III and an Athlon T-Bird, and there
23 is at least one *real* computer language just as compact -- FORTH --
24 represented in Portage by "gforth". IIRC the Vim syntax coloring for
25 FORTH is already in place. As a matter of fact, IIRC an implementation
26 of Knuth's "MIX" pedantic language is also in Portage.
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list