From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC acct-{user,group} for asterisk
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 19:01:58
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2019/11/10 20:21, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > On 11/10/19 12:36 PM, Jaco Kroon wrote:
5 >> What's the motivation for trying to match the UID and GID values from
6 >> other distributions?
7 >>
8 >> I previously tried to motivate a "purely dynamic" allocation with -1,
9 >> I'm showing this as an example where such an implementation would once
10 >> more be beneficial.
11 >>
12 > When sharing resources between multiple systems, you need some sort of
13 > centralized identity management. You can put the users in LDAP, for
14 > example, and then force everything to authenticate against that. But,
15 > doing that right is complicated, and is overkill if you just want to
16 > share some files between two machines.
17 >
18 > Having fixed UIDs and GIDs on all Gentoo systems gives you an easy way
19 > to centralize that identity management: in portage, where the IDs are
20 > hard-coded. Once GLEP81 has been implemented tree-wide, users can trust
21 > that (on new installs, at least), every system user and group will have
22 > the same ID. That gives you a simple way to e.g. mount shared apache
23 > resources without having to learn LDAP.
24 >
25 > If our IDs agree with other distributions, then to the extent possible,
26 > the same thing works cross-distro.
27 >
28 > We don't allow dynamic UIDs because it defeats this whole concept. You
29 > might not care what the ID is, but some of your users will.
30
31 Happy.  That makes sense.
32
33 May I proceed to use UID+GID 242 then for asterisk?
34
35 Seeing that 42 is apparently off limits by the above argument, and 142
36 could theoretically also end up being problematic.
37
38 Kind Regards,
39 Jaco