From: Colin Kingsley <ckingsley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:34:05
1 On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:02:00 -0400, Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
2 > dammit are we over complicating this?
3 > You guys seem to be hung up on silly USE/FEATURE flag names.
4 > How about we as Ciaran McCreesh proposed just add it to CFLAGS by
5 > default and deploy stages in such a manner.
6 > Solves everything for most cases and leave the option up to the user to
7 > disable if he/she wants to.
10 I agree with that. The prospect of some complex FEATURES/USE system
11 adding CFLAGS scares me. The issue of weather -fstack-protector in
12 CFLAGS would take precedence over its addition or removal by
13 FEATURES/USE related functions could get needlessly confusing, and
14 adding it globally cant be that big a performance hit. Also, things
15 get more confusing when you keep in mind that some users will want it
16 globally while some will want it only on at-risk packages. I'd be all
17 for a selective SSP system, but please, keep it simple.
18
19 Colin
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list