From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Putting all log related packages into it's own category (sys-logging)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:08:51
1 On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 02:13:46PM +0100, Bjarke Istrup Pedersen <gurligebis@g.o> wrote:
2 > I was thinking, how about putting all log related packages into their
3 > own category?
4 > This should be logging daemons, log viewers, logrotate etc.
5 >
6 > Maybe creating a logging herd would be an idea to, to remove the load
7 > from the base-system herd.
8 >
9 > What do you think?
10
11 I think this is a great idea, as long as it doesnt get abused. There are
12 quite a lot of log handling packages anyways, although would there be
13 enough to warrant a new category as well as a new herd?
14
15 My brief suggestion of packages which would be good for this:
16
17 app-admin/analog
18 app-admin/cronolog
19 app-admin/fetchlog
20 app-admin/klogview
21 app-admin/logmon
22 app-admin/logrotate
23 app-admin/logsentry
24 app-admin/metalog
25 app-admin/modlogan
26 app-admin/newsyslog
27 app-admin/phpsyslogng
28 app-admin/socklog
29 app-admin/sysklogd
30 app-admin/syslog-ng
31 app-admin/ulog-acctd
32 app-admin/ulogd
33 app-misc/logserial
34 net-firewall/fwanalog
35 net-mail/qlogtools
36 net-mail/qmailanalog
37 sys-apps/gluelog
38 sys-apps/logwatch
39 x11-misc/paralogger
40
41 Regards,
42 John
45 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
46 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
47 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
48 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515