From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: zmedico@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving COLLISION_IGNORE (and UNINSTALL_IGNORE?) to profiles/*/make.defaults
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 07:48:20
1 Dnia 2013-08-09, o godz. 23:27:41
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 08/09/2013 02:32 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > Just a quick one.
8 > >
9 > > Currently, the two listed variables are set in make.globals (installed
10 > > by portage ebuild);
11 > >
12 > > COLLISION_IGNORE="/lib/modules/* *.py[co] *\$py.class"
13 > > UNINSTALL_IGNORE="/lib/modules/*"
14 > >
15 > > COLLISION_IGNORE specifies files that will be ignored by
16 > > FEATURES=collision-protect when they exist but are not owned by any
17 > > package. UNINSTALL_IGNORE specifies files that will not be unmerged.
18 > >
19 > > By keeping those two in portage, we're basically binding them to
20 > > version of portage installed. If we need to ignore more files, we need
21 > > to request our users to upgrade portage.
22 > >
23 > > That's why I'm thinking of moving them to profiles/base/make.defaults.
24 > > From what I've tested, the setting there will override make.globals
25 > > and therefore the change could be effective from day one, without
26 > > the need to upgrade portage.
27 > >
28 > > I feel like those variables are much alike the QA variables that we
29 > > keep in the profiles.
30 > >
31 > > What do you think?
34 > Are we sure that this thing really belongs in the profile, rather than
35 > something that's defined in ebuilds? Or maybe we should have both?
36
37 Well, AFAICS we have three cases:
38
39 1. kernel modules that all are installed to a common location
40 and therefore global collision/uninstall ignore setting works fine,
41
42 2. Python compiled files that all are installed the same way by the new
43 eclasses + sys-apps/portage which still ignores the new eclasses
44 and tries to pretend being one of them,
45
46 3. Twisted dropin.cache files that are installed the same way and use
47 a common eclass.
48
49 I think in all three cases, we could move it off the profile to
50 eclasses. But I don't think it's worth the effort.
53 Best regards,
54 Michał Górny