From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:58:10
1 On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:07:12 -0400 Sean Mitchell
2 <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > I am getting a 'selected disk does not exist' error in grub.
6 > > Everything in
7 > > the build from source worked fine until this point. I have a
8 > > promise U66
9 > > controller, and on device 0,0 I have my linux harddrive. During
10 > the
11 > > install, it was recognized as hde. I tried grub with (hd3,0),
12 > > and it did
13 > > not work. I have other harddrives in my system (hda, hdc), and
14 > when I
15 > > tried root (hd0,0) or root (hd2,0) I recived the same error, that
16 > the
17 > > selected disk does not exist.
18 > > does anyone know why grub is not recognizing my disks?
19 > > thanks!
20 >
21 > Not that this helps much, but I have had the same problem with my
22 > KT7 RAID
23 > board which uses a HPT370 controller. I have
24 >
25 > hda
26 > hda1 - NTFS (Windows 2000)
27 > hda2 - Reiserfs (Gentoo /)
28 >
29 > hde
30 > hde1 - ext2 (Gentoo /boot)
31 > hde2 - FAT32 (just data)
32 > hde3 - extended
33 > hde5 - swap (Linux swap)
34 >
35 > From memory, when I tried a
36 >
37 > # root (hd1,0)
38 >
39 > it was fine, but the
40 >
41 > # setup (hd1)
42 >
43 > gave an unrecognised partition or something like that. At any rate,
44 > I
45 > installed LILO and everything is fine now. I've never been able to
46 > figure
47 > out what advantages GRUB has anyway, so LILO is still my preferred
48 > boot
49 > manager.
52 The only advantage to grub is that you don't need to rerun grub (like
53 lilo) when you add a new bootable stanza to the list of bootable
54 systems. Otherwise, it's a pain in the kiester. You can't boot every
55 type of filesystem with grub, for example.
58 Collins Richey
59 Denver Area
60 gentoo_rc6 xfce+sylpheed