From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few questions to our nominees
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:59:49
1 On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:49:35 +0200
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:50:11 +0200
6 > > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
7 > >>> So how, specifically, is PMS "wrongly written", and why hasn't
8 > >>> anyone who thinks so bothered to provide details?
9 > >> - rewrite it as an rfc using a markup among xmlrfc, docbook,
10 > >> guidexml.
11 > >
12 > > What technical reason is there to use a markup that's more work for
13 > > those of us doing the writing? Writing XML is a huge pain in the ass
14 > > compared to latex.
15 >
16 > More people can understand those markups
17
18 I've yet to see anyone have any difficulties with Tex.
19
20 > they are consistent with the gentoo documentation
21
22 GuideXML can't even begin to cover our requirements. Simple example:
23 try to rewrite the following in GuideXML:
24
25 ---START---
26 Global variables must only contain invariant values
27 (see~\ref{metadata-invariance}). If a global variable's value is
28 invariant, it may have the value that would be generated at any given
29 point in the build sequence.
30
31 This is demonstrated by code listing~\ref{lst:env-saving}.
32
33 \lstinputlisting[float,caption=Environment state between
34 functions,label=lst:env-saving]{env-saving.listing}
35 ---END---
36
37 > they look better on screen than on paper
38
39 That's highly questionable. And PMS is sufficiently long that printing
40 it out is the easiest way of reading it, no matter what format it's in.
41
42 > tex is a great typesetting markup to write academic books. Right tool
43 > for the right task. It address the problem "PMS is anything but
44 > accessible"
45
46 How does making PMS twice the file size and five times as complicated to
47 edit make it more accessible?
48
49 > >> - use EBNF when describing a syntax.
50 > >
51 > > Is there any indication that this is any clearer? EBNF gets messy
52 > > when it comes to describing the whitespace rules, for example.
53 >
54 > It is less ambiguous than natural language. That solves the issue
55 > "The syntax is underspecified"
56
57 In what places is the syntax currently underspecified, and in said
58 places, why is EBNF a better solution that tightening up the existing
59 language? Please illustrate your answer with real examples.
62 Ciaran McCreesh