From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate /usr without initramfs
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 20:08:36
1 Hi Dale,
2
3 I would like to call your attention to a couple of things in my message.
4
5 On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 01:40:10PM -0500, Dale wrote:
6 > William Hubbs wrote:
7
8 *snip*
9
10 > > I want to hear from people who have / and /usr on separate partitions
11 > > and who are not using an initramfs.
12 > >
13 > > If you are in this group, I have a very specific question. Why aren't
14 > > you using an initramfs?
15
16 *snip*
17
18 > I have a separate /usr among others and always have.  The reason I do
19 > that, /boot and / are normal partitions but everything else is LVM.  I
20 > can adjust the size of everything BUT /boot and /.  At the time I did
21 > that, the init thingy was not needed if I recall correctly.  I might
22 > add, I've had to grow /usr and /var a couple times.  Before LVM, it
23 > meant copying over to another drive, repartitioning and then restoring
24 > to the old drive.  Time consuming and one wrong command could ruin a
25 > install.
26 >
27 > While I have a init thingy, I do not like it.  I've had a couple
28 > failures already with those things.  Luckily I keep older kernels and
29 > such for that.  If I had my wish, I would not need a init thingy, ever.
30 > It's just one more thing that can cause problems.  There's already more
31 > than enough things that can break.  While I understand the problem comes
32 > from upstream, I still think it sucks.  It's easy enough to have a
33 > unbootable kernel as it is.  Adding another layer for booting to fail
34 > should be avoided.  BTW, I use dracut.  I tried to build it other ways
35 > but couldn't get it to work.  Bad thing is, when one fails even built
36 > with dracut, I have no clue how it works really so no idea how to fix
37 > other than using a older kernel or just rerunning dracut and hoping for
38 > the best.
39
40 You just stated that you have an initramfs, so you did not thoroughly
41 read my message. I specifically asked to hear from folks who aren't
42 using one. All of this is irrelivent since you are.
43
44 > I'm also not looking forward to the other situation you mentioned
45 > either.  At some point, having separate partitions won't be easy with or
46 > without a init thingy.  I can't easily resize / without reworking the
47 > whole thing.
48
49 Like I said above, separate partitions without an initramfs has been
50 broken for many years. We have been doing some downstream hacking that
51 made it work for some people. You are obviously not one of those people
52 since you use an initramfs.
53
54 Can you please not add irrelivent noise to this thread?
55
56 William