From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unified DEPENDENCIES concept
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 15:04:47
1 On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 15:53:50 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 16:23:16 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 13:36:05 +0100
7 > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > > These are the rules for a machine. People don't actually read
9 > > > > dependencies sequentially. Provide a good algorithm which works
10 > > > > from any position.
11 > > >
12 > > > Read backwards from the current position until you find a label.
13 > > > It's the same algorithm you use to find out what the current
14 > > > section is when you're reading an article.
15 > >
16 > > No, it doesn't work that way.
17 > >
18 > > See:
19 > >
20 > > foo? (
21 > > label:
22 > > dev-foo/bar
23 > > )
24 > > dev-bar/foo <-
25 > >
26 > > Reading backwards, I find 'label'.
27 >
28 > ...skipping subblocks. Although the case you've given is unlikely to
29 > be used in practice, since experience shows that given this feature,
30 > developers use it in an easily understood manner.
31 >
32 > > > > shall we repeat all the disadvantages which you love to forgot
33 > > > > to mention?
34 > > >
35 > > > No, please stay out of this until you understand the original
36 > > > proposal, and in particular the parts marked with ***. So long as
37 > > > you don't understand what we're discussing, I'm afraid any
38 > > > contributions you make will simply be shouting and waving.
39 > >
40 > > What have parts marked with '***' to do with the disadvantages we
41 > > have already proved and which you didn't even bother answering?
42 >
43 > The problem is that you're arguing against a proposal that doesn't
44 > exist except in your head. If you'd like to read and understand the
45 > proposal being made, which starts with understanding the bits marked
46 > clearly with stars, and then once you've understood it, rethink and
47 > present any issues you find with that proposal then we might have
48 > something to discuss.
49
50 Renaming and/or reordering something doesn't change its implications.
51 It's just 'main disadvantage' vs 'side disadvantage'.
54 Best regards,
55 Michał Górny