From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New global USE flag: unwind
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 10:21:25
1 Ühel kenal päeval, N, 11.05.2017 kell 11:29, kirjutas Chí-Thanh
2 Christopher Nguyễn:
3 > Suggested description: Add support for stack traces and function
4 > name
5 > resolution via sys-libs/libunwind
6 >
7 > That description is a little unwieldy though, better suggestions are
8 > welcome.
9
10 I think it's usually used to be able to grab function names and such
11 for crash backtraces or whatnot into logs, even if the binaries are
12 rather optimized?
13
14 > Currently in use by the following packages:
15 >
16 > dev-cpp/glog:unwind - Use sys-libs/libunwind for stack unwinding
17 > instead
18 > of glibc/gcc (may be more reliable on x86_64)
19 > dev-libs/efl:unwind - Enable debug support via sys-libs/libunwind
20 > dev-libs/weston:unwind - Enable libunwind usage for backtraces
21 > dev-util/ltrace:unwind - Use sys-libs/libunwind for frame unwinding
22 > support
23 > dev-util/perf:unwind - Use sys-libs/libunwind for frame unwinding
24 > support.
25 > dev-util/strace:unwind - Enable stack backtraces (-k flag) via
26 > sys-libs/libunwind
27 > media-libs/gstreamer:unwind - Enable sys-libs/libunwind usage for
28 > better
29 > backtrace support in leaks tracer module
30 > www-apache/mod_backtrace:unwind - Use sys-libs/libunwind to provide
31 > better resolution of function names.
32 > x11-apps/intel-gpu-tools:unwind - Provide automatic stack traces on
33 > test
34 > failures
35 > x11-base/xorg-server:unwind - Enable libunwind usage for backtraces
36 >
37 > I understand that dev-cpp/glog uses the unwind flag differently from
38 > the
39 > other packages. If that is an issue that package's flag could be
40 > renamed
41 > to "libunwind" as sys-libs/libcxx et al. currently use.
42
43 For gstreamer 1.12 I will also need one for libdw for DWARF unwind to
44 avoid automagic deps. Maybe it'd be OK to control both (and so both
45 libraries) via USE=unwind too instead of some local USE=dwarf or
46 USE=libdw or USE=dw or whatnot?
47
48 Mart