From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Brian Harring <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] mac/xmms-mac licence issue
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:13:57
1 25.12.2005, 3:51:15, Brian Harring wrote:
4 > Jakub responded in this thread about shipping a crap license... imo,
5 > that's not the issue.
6
7 > The issue is that we would be knowingly violating a license (however
8 > horrid the license is).
9
10 > Two routes out of this- clean room reimplementation of the codec, or
11 > someone manages to track down the original author and gets the code
12 > converted to a different license. Latter still is tricky, since any
13 > contributions to the project, you would need all authors to sign off
14 > on the new license- this is assuming the project doesn't do
15 > centralized copyright, and assuming people have actually contributed
16 > to it beyond original author.
19 Not exactly what I meant. There's actually no (clear) license, the original
20 one would apply to the original code, not to the patches submitted after
21 it's been "re-licensed" under LGPL. Since upstream is dead, we can't ship
22 the original code (leaving the question why we should do it at all aside),
23 also we can't exactly find all the people who contributed the patches under
24 LGPL, and there's no way to contribute the code back to upstream as the
25 original license requires. Such code is a real "bargain" to commit :P
26
27 Rewrite from scratch, that's what left here. So much you get if you start
28 with a bullshit license originally and then go MIA. :/
31 Best regards,
32
33 Jakub Moc
34 mailto:jakub@g.o
35 GPG signature: http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
36 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
37
38 ... still no signature ;)