From: purslow@×××××××××.ca
To: Gentoo Devt <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] improving world & pkg
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 06:47:11
1 040407 Andrew Ross wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 13:43, purslow@×××××××××.ca wrote:
3 >> (1) instead of Portage adding emerged pkgs to 'world' automatically,
4 >> it sb upto the user to ask for that to be done by an explicit flag.
5 >> i suspect present behaviour goes back to the beginnings of Gentoo
6 >> & has never been re-examined: it doesn't work out well in practice.
7 >> often, i find myself updating a pgm wh is needed for something else,
8 >> but wh i don't want to add to my 'world', wh is the end-products i do want.
9 >> yes, you can explicitly exclude things w '--oneshot',
10 >> but that has to be done each time & has no short equivalent.
11 > How many times do people directly emerge a package
12 > and NOT want it included in world?
13
14 quite often, in my case, but others may have different needs, of course.
15
16 > I want it in world so "emerge -uavD world" works as expected.
17
18 i wd never do 'emerge world' except w the '-p' flag:
19 doesn't it takes many hours ? eg it wd want to update OpenOffice,
20 wh took c 5,5 hr on my fairly fast machine.
21 my practice is 'esync', 'emerge -Dup world',
22 then to emerge individual pkgs wh have jumped enough version points.
23 a lot of problems users report on gentoo-user
24 seem to involve some failure during an 'emerge world'.
25 however, i do realise that others have other preferences.
26
27 > Anyway, like Mike and Erik,
28 > I also think a short version of --oneshot would be good.
29
30 at least could we get such a flag added ? '-w' seems to be free.
34 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
35 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
36 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list