From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:29:06
1 Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
4
5 > > It's quite simple. You don't do it unless you are fully aware of the
6 > > consequences. If you have to ask, you aren't fully aware of the
7 > > consequences so you mustn't do it.
8 >
9 > That's a flawed argument. Not knowing doesn't prevent you from
10 > asking, and asking will inform you of the consequences, assuming the
11 > asked isn't a complete tool.
12
13 Let me try this more diplomatically. How are we supposed to know if a
14 package that's depending on a system package is a bug or an exception if
15 we have no idea what the exception(s) is/are?
16
17 Stephen Bennett wrote:
18 > If you don't know about the unwritten yet near universal exception
19 > clause then you shouldn't be invoking it.
20
21 If it's universal, then why isn't it written somewhere? After all
22 this, we *still* haven't gotten an answer to why some packages
23 outside of the system target are depending on zlib. Is this a bug? If
24 not, what's the reason it's there? Let's document this reason, so we
25 don't have to go through this again in the future. It's that simple.