From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: deprecation of baselayout-1.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 21:05:11
1 On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > You're very correct about portage getting confused if the existing
3 > packages are outdated, since the tarball would be dropping in untracked
4 > files.  At least in the past, portage wouldn't unmerge glibc or the like,
5 > but it certainly WOULD leave the untracked cruft around.
6
7 I wonder if there is a way to get around keeping cruft in the tree for
8 the sake of those who don't update often.
9
10 Something that comes to mind is having a binpkg repository for
11 everything in system - essentially a binpkg stage3.
12
13 I'll tinker with that a little, but if catalyst just uses emerge then
14 an easy way to generate this would be to add FEATURES=buildpkg to the
15 autogenerated stage3s. Then we just need to mirror the binary
16 packages a little.
17
18 We should discourage users from using it except for rescue. It would
19 be undesirable anyway since it would need to use stock use flags.
20
21 Rich