From: Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage ebuild cruft
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:23:00
1 On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 18:40 +0200, Heinrich Wendel wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Portage is slow? How to make it faster? By removing unused ebuilds!
5 >
6 > I wrote a little script to check which ebuilds in portage aren't used
7 > anylonger, here the result:
8 >
9 > Total packages checked: 9076
10 > Total ebuilds checked: 18662
11 > Total ebuilds to remove: 4643
12 >
13 > Of course the script can't detect every ebuild situation, so take the numbers
14 > with care. But still it shows that 1/4 of all ebuilds could be removed. This
15 > would improve portage performance by at least 1/4, so developers go ahead.
16 > The script is attached, just run it as if it was repoman, it won't do
17 > anything, just show the orphaned packages.
18 >
19 > mfg, heinrich :-)
20
21 I feel that I should point out that "large style" corporations, and the
22 smaller PLC's whose Systems departments like to play at being larger
23 corporations don't like changing version numbers of packages, full stop.
24 Purging old versions for a few seconds speed increase in portage
25 operations would potentially cause some, if not many people to make
26 extensive use of the overlay, just to satisfy their PHB's.
29 Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>