From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Enemy Territory Strikes Back
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 22:07:31
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 08:22, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
3 >
4 >>Hello
5 >>
6 >> From cvs changelogs I notice ID based based including ET are back in
7 >>portage and also that they now have a licence check.
8 >>
9 >>-- So what dialogue resulted in them returning and what happened exactly?
12 > Essentially, the games team decided we were going to implement the
13 > license check and put them back in portage. We contacted id Software
14 > and informed them of what we were doing and asked if they had any
15 > objections. You can find that message sent from me in the mailing list
16 > ( a few days ago, Friday, I think). We received a response from the CEO
17 > of id Software which essentially read that id gives up no rights to us
18 > at all and as long as we followed the EULA, we were kosher. The license
19 > check gives us compliance.
20
21 Ah I see. Well, thank you for the explanation. It's surprising how
22 these turnarounds happen isn't it and just how trivial they can become.
23
24 I'm over the moon that ID based games are back in portage but also quite
25 sad that the interactivity rule that ebuilds have followed for so long
26 has finally been broken. Nevertheless, one might say it's been a worthy
27 cause and would have happened later if not sooner for a range of
28 packages of a similar sort.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list