From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] useflag policies
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 03:24:09
1 On 3 August 2015 at 09:37, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I find setting USE="qt4 -qt5" a lot more obvious than having USE="qt" (why not
4 >> USE="X" ?) which then does different things based on another useflag,
5 >> sometimes. Maybe. It's horribly inconsistent and even might change result over
6 >> time, which is not very user-friendly.
7 >
8 > The problem is that this approach breaks down with scenarios which are
9 > likely to be commonplace.
10 >
11 > I want to use fooplayer and bargrapher which are two qt-based
12 > applications. fooplayer only supports qt4, and bargrapher only
13 > supports qt5. What USE flags should I set, without restorting to
14 > per-package flags?
15
16 These packages would not have useflags, as they only use one toolkit.
17
18 > Then I also install klunkybrowser which supports
19 > both qt4 and qt5 but not at the same time, so how should I manage my
20 > flags for that?
21
22 Set your global default in make.conf as either qt4 or qt5. If you want
23 to deviate from that for some package, you can set per package use
24 flags. Easy peasy. Clear and straightforward. Principle of least
25 surprise.
26
27 > The current qt policy just has each package support only one version
28 > using USE=qt
29
30 No, that is not at all the case. We have banned a simple qt useflag
31 since many years (which is also the QA policy). We have been using
32 versioned qt3, qt4, qt5 useflags.
33
34 > and while it denies user choice for klunkybrowser it is
35 > at least simple. The alternative of "qt means I don't care what
36 > version" is also simple
37
38 Except many users do care. I don't see the benefit in changing the way
39 we used to do this.
40
41 > The approach qt4=qt4
42 > and qt5=qt5 seems simpler on the surface, but it means that users end
43 > up having to set tons of per-package configurations when they don't
44 > actually care which one they use, and it also doesn't necessarily hint
45 > to users which will give them the best experience on each package.
46
47 If they don't care, they can simply follow the defaults and not set
48 any qt4 or qt5 useflags in make.conf.
49
50 > Right now you can get away with just USE="qt4 -qt5" because we don't
51 > have many qt5-only packages in the tree
52
53 As I said before, this is of no consequence, as there would be no
54 mutually exclusive qt4 and qt5 useflags anyway for those packages.
55
56 The problem only appears with packages that force a choice between qt4
57 and qt5, and users that have enabled both useflags globally.
60 Cheers,
61
62 Ben | yngwin
63 Gentoo developer