From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-build
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:12:28
1 On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:07:37PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2
3 > Ok, you can use sys.tbz2 too for that but build.tbz2 contains only the
4 > minimum required stuff, we can even place gcc and binutils in separate TARGET
5 > dependent packages, so it should be possible to make one cd that gives you
6 > the ability to build for all our intel targets.
7
8 OK, so we have two install CD's:
9
10 1. the standard packages CD (for people who want a quick install)
11
12 /images/sys.tbz2
13 /packages/<all your .tbz2 packages here>
14
15 2. the autobuild CD (for people who want to build everything from scratch)
16 On this CD, the directory structure looks something like this:
17
18 /portage
19 #profiles contains lists of packages to install for various types of
20 #systems, such as "desktop", "server", "router", etc.
21 /portage/profiles
22 /portage/distfiles
23
24 # the i486, i586 and i686 build packages contain gcc and binutils
25 # compiled for their respective targets... question, is this necessary
26 # since you can access these sub-architectures with compile-time switches.
27 # this just changes the name of /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu, or
28 # are there more extensive changes besides this? How about binutils?
29 # If there are no differences in generated code, we can have a single
30 # build.tbz2 instead of three.
31
32 /gentoo/i486/build.tbz2
33 /gentoo/i586/build.tbz2
34 /gentoo/i686/build.tbz2
35
36 > Well there is no base-system that needs to be rebuild. Instead the
37 > corresponding non statically linked packages get build and merged over or can
38 > be unmerged if not required after the build.
39
40 Again, why are these static? I'm guessing so that you don't need to include
41 certain libraries? Wouldn't build.tbz2 be smaller with dynamic linking?
42
43 Best Regards,
46 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
47 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org