From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] binary packages, crazy idea
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:09:20
1 On Friday 30 August 2002 16:05, J Robert Ray wrote:
2 > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
3 > |>Security would be the largest stumbling block of this system.
4 > |
5 > | Actually, I think a signed package would suffice. MD5 checksum perhaps.
6 > | But, I think the biggest stumbling block is not security, but rather disk
7 > | space and bandwidth. All of these combinations would just become an
8 > | enormous archive.
9 >
10 > That's why I proposed freenet, it is a distributed datastore with
11 > p2p-like qualities. A file you put into it is mirrored around to other
12 > freenet servers. If a file isn't requested for a long time, and space
13 > is needed for newer files, it is purged. When you fetch a file from
14 > freenet it can come from any number of servers that have the file.
15 >
16 > It's worth checking out if you haven't played with it.
19 We've had a very very lengthy discussion about this topic about a month ago.
20 Maybe you check out the maillist archives before continuing the discussion.
21
22 Paul
25 Paul de Vrieze
26 Junior Researcher