From: "Michał Górny" <gentoo@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] toolchain-funcs.eclass: functions to call compiler
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 05:36:02
1 On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:44:55 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday, June 06, 2010 03:45:51 Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Well, I've already covered one corner case myself, which is the zpaq
6 > > ebuild. I would approve a comment on my idea here:
7 > >
8 > > http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/sunrise/changeset/10641/sunrise/app-arch/zp
9 > > aq/zpaq-1.10.ebuild
10 > >
11 > > The hard part was that zpaq.cpp had to be compiled to both the
12 > > execu- table and the stub object file (with additional -DOPT flag).
13 > >
14 > > I've decided that the simplest and most fail-proof idea was to
15 > > create an additional source file, defining 'OPT' and including the
16 > > real code, and compiling all of that within a single 'emake' call.
17 >
18 > C/C++ files should always have a newline at the end ... that stub
19 > file is currently missing one.
20
21 Noted.
22
23 > i dont know anything about zpaq, but it looks like you're installing
24 > the bare .o files ? that's a bit odd. usually things like this are
25 > installed as static archives for people to link in ...
26
27 A single .o file exactly. ZPAQ in runtime can 'optimize' itself through
28 creating compression scheme sources and calling 'zpaqmake' to compile
29 it.
30
31 The default 'zpaqmake.bat' included with it compiled these schemes
32 along with 'zpaq.cpp' for the executable stub. I've decided that it'd
33 be better to provide already compiled stub.
34
35 Honestly, I didn't think long about the format. I guess .a could be
36 better, or maybe even a shared library -- but GNU make doesn't seem to
37 have implicit rules for these formats.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny
42
43 <http://mgorny.alt.pl>