From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:32:14
1 On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 12:43:18PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 04:37:44 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > | On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 12:27:39PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:05:49 +0000 Steve Long
6 > | > | Secondly, how difficult would it be for you to do what he asked? I
7 > | > | know it's not your responsibility, I just want to know whether you
8 > | > | can do it fairly easily.
9 > | >
10 > | > It's a couple of hours work, and it requires tree access...
11 > |
12 > | anoncvs is available, just split a patch (tree wide changes could
13 > | stand reviewing anyways).
14 >
15 > Yeah, because a tree-wide patch against a changing tree is really
16 > practical.
17
18 Your changes will be fairly limited; pretty much tweaking LICENSE
19 vars, mangling/adding to license/. Yes, the tree changes, but it
20 doesn't change fast enough for such a patch to be instantly worthless
21 (nor worthless in a few weeks, albeit a bit dated).
22
23 Such a change *should* have review anyways, since LICENSE isn't
24 something that should be arbitrarily screwed with.
25
26 Keep in mind that someone else is going to have to handle the patch
27 anyways, so it's out of your hands at that point; let them worry about
28 how to handle it, meanwhile you're after the change so throw the
29 delta their way.
30
31 Donnie already stated he'd take a patch, so throw the patch his
32 direction if you want things changed.
33
34 ~harring