From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 12:38:05
1 On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 02:24:49PM +0200, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 02:08 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
3 > > On Friday 07 July 2006 01:54, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > > | No, we never spent years telling them not to use your so-called
5 > > > | "CFLAGS hacks" that are rather a proper usage of what the compiler
6 > > > | gives you.
7 > > > Wrong. We did.
8 > > Then you were wrong. I could have spent time explaining them when they make
9 > > sense and why they don't in their usecases. If you did, well, then you really
10 > > need to know better what you do because you seem to me pretty confused
11 > > yourself, and I feel pity for you.
14 > Yes, we did. Were we wrong? Out of a purest point of view ... maybe.
15 > The problem was though that earlier gcc's was very bad at generating
16 > sse/sse2, and sometimes mmx code.
17 >
18 > Users being what they are though (ricers should say it all), they
19 > enabled every flag that sounded like it could make their old box two
20 > times faster. This included -msse, -msse2, etc. Which quite frankly
21 > produced bad code in many cases. So we told the users to not add any
22 > -m* flags, and let gcc do its job with the proper -march.
23 >
24 > So yeah, I can see that general use flags for cpu features might become
25 > more tedious with the many new modules of processors out there, but to
26 > say handle it by adding -msse, etc to CFLAGS, will surely if not on
27 > gcc4, but then on gcc3 systems just ask for trouble.
28 >
29 > And yes, I know you are saying that that is not exactly what you are
30 > proposing, but the users will see it as a clear passport to stick all
31 > those nice sounding flags just right back in, and then it will be too
32 > late to tell them its not proper thing to do when the bugs start
33 > flooding in.
34
35 Dumb question, but what really blocks them from doing that now for
36 x86 (for example)?
37
38 Yes, can't enable certain flags for non x86/x86_64 arches, but the con
39 you're pointing at exists now for the most part.
40
41 ~harring