From: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
Cc: Jeff Rose <rosejn@××××××××.EDU>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:33:57
1 Well the X install is in the future it seems. I think gentoo would
2 benefit from a cli install/package manager more than it currently has.
3
4 I think we should sit down and chart out exactly how we want this to
5 actually work. I like Jeff's idea about the stages of install being
6 done seperately...the basic installation, then portage sync then package
7 selection.
8
9 I think that's a good starting ground for design conversations. A
10 couple of ideas that I have put forth...
11
12 It should work over serial line consoles as well as local displays.
13 It should be really easy for a beginner, yet possible for the most
14 advanced user to take control at any point.
17 Cliff Free wrote:
18
19 >Well it now sounds like we're getting into the design issues, so I say
20 >we get something formal started and save the flame-wars for when we're
21 >making design decisions. I like the ideas put-forth so far, and it
22 >seems we have several interested people, so my question is: What's the
23 >next step?
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list