From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] eutils.eclass / EPATCH_EXCLUDE defined wrong?
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:46:46
1 I was goofing around trying to get current dev-vcs/git-9999 building
2 by skipping the CVS patch ( which is applied with epatch ) and I had a
3 bizzare amount of time working out how to get it working.
4
5 Looking at the source of eutils.eclass ' # Let people filter things
6 dynamically ' suggests to me that this field is for use by a end user
7 via package.env and friends.
8
9 However, every time I ran emerge, the 'environment' file simply
10 suggests that EPATCH_EXCLUDE was ="" .
11
12 Looking elsewhere in eutils.eclass, I spied a forced initialization of
13 EPATCH_EXCLUDE, which implicitly means you can't actually use this to
14 exclude patches outside .ebuild
15
16 Commenting this line out, yielded the result I had been expecting, the
17 CVS patch being skipped .
18
19 I only thought I could do this because I used something like this
20 once upon a time with net-im/psi-9999 and thought it was just "normal"
21 to be able to disable patches if I really wanted to. ( But I see now
22 they acheive this by copying MY_EPATCH_EXCLUDE to EPATCH_EXCLUDE in
23 the .ebuild ).
24
25 So, is this variable guarded against user tampering intentionally? It
26 sure beats hacking the ebuild.
27
28 ( Side note, what would also be nice is some sort of warning if things
29 you set in package.env are getting totally ignored. But thats a hard
30 problem )
33 Kent
34
35 perl -e "print substr( \"edrgmaM SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,