From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: adding sbin directories to PATH for all users
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:05:26
1 >>>>> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2
3 > On 11/25/2015 06:10 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
4 >> I would like for us to discuss adding the sbin directories to PATH
5 >> for all users.
6
7 > This sounds strange to me, if it should be executable by all users
8 > it likely shouldn't be in sbin in the first place but in bin. In any
9 > case; I don't see any good reason to change the traditional behavior
10 > of sbin only being in path for root.
11
12 +1
13
14 The sbin directories are separate from bin for the very reason that
15 binaries in there (which are only usable with elevated privileges) can
16 be excluded from normal users' PATH.
17
18 Users who for whatever reason want these directories in their PATH can
19 include them in their local settings, but as the general default it
20 makes no sense.
21
22 Ulrich