From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] multiversion ebuilds
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 07:12:19
> eblits! > /me hides
But seriously: Per-package eclasses were proposed in 2010 already and made it into a pre-draft GLEP [1]. See also the HTML comments in that text pointing out some problems with that approach. The subject came up again about two years ago, but I fail to find the discussion (maybe it was on IRC). AFAIR there were doubts that such a concept would be widely adopted, because of its increased complexity, and the few packages in need of it could use regular eclasses (living in the eclass/ dir) instead. Ulrich [1] https://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo/users/antarus/projects/gleps/glep-XX.txt?view=markup