From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] multiversion ebuilds
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 07:12:19
1 >>>>> On Wed, 16 May 2018, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2
3 >>>>> On Wed, 16 May 2018, Paweł Hajdan, wrote:
4 >> I'm wondering: if the main goal would be more code sharing between
5 >> ebuilds, would something like
6 >> <https://exherbo.org/docs/eapi/exheres-for-smarties.html#exlibs>
7 >> (essentially per-package eclasses) be an option?
8
9 > eblits!
10 > /me hides
11
12 But seriously: Per-package eclasses were proposed in 2010 already and
13 made it into a pre-draft GLEP [1]. See also the HTML comments in that
14 text pointing out some problems with that approach.
15
16 The subject came up again about two years ago, but I fail to find the
17 discussion (maybe it was on IRC). AFAIR there were doubts that such a
18 concept would be widely adopted, because of its increased complexity,
19 and the few packages in need of it could use regular eclasses (living
20 in the eclass/ dir) instead.
21
22 Ulrich
23