From: Will Briggs <will@××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:53:42
1 Mike Doty wrote:
2 > All-
3 >
4 > We're going to change the -dev mailing list from completely open to where only
5 > devs can post, but any dev could moderate a non-dev post. devs who moderate in
6 > bad posts will be subject to moderation themselves. in addition the
7 > gentoo-project list will be created to take over what -dev frequently becomes.
8 > there is no requirement to be on this new list.
9 >
10 > This will probably remove the need for -core(everything gets leaked out anyway)
11 > but that's a path to cross later.
12 >
13 > We're voting on this next council meeting so if you have input, now would be
14 > the time.
15 >
16 > --taco
17
18 A few points
19
20 1) As a point of fact, here am I, a non-dev user, responding to an email
21 on the dev list. Why? Because it's an issue that affects me as a user.
22 Users are part of the gentoo community (*cough* are the whole point
23 of the gentoo community *cough*) and at some point user-developer
24 interaction needs to have a "level playing field" forum. gentoo-dev, in
25 practice, has provided this.
26
27 _However it is spun, any moderating of non-devs is a disenfranchisement_
30 2) "what -dev frequently becomes" - does this solve the problem? Let me
31 suggest that flamewars and other negative things can and will appear
32 amongst the copious amount of dry tinder that exists within the ranks of
33 those who have an @g.o email address.
34
35 _These proposed changes won't solve the "problem"_
38 3) I read this list to keep my finger on the pulse of what's happening
39 in gentoo's heart. Crucial to this is the significant contribution of
40 some non-dev's. Included among these are former-developers, who while
41 they can't contribute in code or bug fixes etc, can in thought and
42 debate. I'll also name up Duncan who here and on -amd64 often provides
43 thought-provoking (although *cough* lengthy) posts, and even Mr.
44 McCreesh who provides posts that while sometimes caustic/flammable, are
45 also often precise and, in the most positive sense of the word,
46 idealistic. I wouldn't want these contributions to be delayed or
47 (perish the thought) vexatiously moderated.
48
49 _Contributions from non-devs are valuable_
53 4) gentoo-dev is what it is. If you want a moderated list, create a
54 new, moderated list, where everyone member is subject to it and there
55 are clear understandings, from the get-go of who, by whom, and what will
56 be moderated.
57
58 _If you want to do this, do it properly_
61 W.
62 --
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list