From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage Subcategory Capabilities?
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:42:12
1 All,
2
3 Has there been some talk as to subcategory implementations in
4 portage? I'm going to assume that it could be done (with speed
5 sacrifice of course), but it would be well beneficial in an ever
6 expanding tree. As more and more new ebuilds flow in everyday, sooner
7 or later categories are split. This would be somewhat of a time saving
8 effort for the result, but its creation would be a little consuming. I
9 wouldn't mind trying to look over the creation of such an implementation
10 (I won't of course be fully active on that until the end of this
11 semester feh :( ). Here's somewhat of an idea:
12
13 media-sound: ok, I'm working on organizing this because it needs to be.
14 So let's see... wc says!:
15
16 chris@secures /usr/local/portage/gentoo-x86/media-sound $ ls -1 | wc
17 275 275 2349
18
19 That's right... 257 nice packages which might actually be installed if
20 users knew what they were :). Something like this might be a little nicer:
21
22 media-sound/editors/audacity
23 media-sound/players/xmms
24
25 now let's say players gets way to huge:
26
27 media-sound/players/mp3/
28 media-sound/players/ogg/
29
30 etc. While this may be somewhat of a strange example. I think it
31 somewhat the organizational need the tree will require at some point.
32 This is just an idea of a good way to organize this stuff. If there's
33 something I'm just not seeing, feel free to slap me with a wet trout and
34 suggest something better. This should be looked at though. Thanks to
35 everyone's patience in dealing with me as always :).
38 Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
40 Sound | Video | Security
41 ChrisWhite @ irc.freenode.net