From: "Jared H. Hudson" <jhhudso@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Jetico's BestCrypt causes 2.4.18-pre3 kernel panic
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 00:34:45
1 There may be other problems with the 2.4.18-pre3 kernel as well, that
2 aren't inherently noticable except under very specific conditions. One of
3 these is that the kernel modules that come with BestCrypt (a commerical
4 w/evaluation, but open source filesystem encryption suite) cause a kernel
5 panic when you mount two encrypted filesystems under 2.4.18-pre3.
6
7 I've never had this problem with any previous 2.2 or 2.4 kernel, but under
8 2.4.18-pre3 it panics. I've never debugged a kernel before, but I'm going
9 to try.
10
11 If anyone cares to try to this out, to confirm this issue. You can get
12 BestCrypt from ftp.jetico.com or www.jetico.com. Either linux version
13 (there's a 0.8 and 1.0b) All it seems to take is creating two encrypted
14 filesystems and mounting both of them. I'm using blowfish -- not sure if
15 it's encryption system dependant so try that one.
16
17 Since, I also use XFS, I will treading softly and quickly going back to
18 2.4.16.
19
20 -Jared H.