From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:05:47
1 On 12/10/19 1:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > Having UIDs chosen completely at random seems fairly non-optimal.
4 > Suppose you're building containers/etc and then bind-mounting in
5 > persistent storage (/var/lib/mysql and so on). Wouldn't it be nice if
6 > the default were that mysql would get the same UID on every build? I
7 > guess you could provide an initial /etc/passwd on every fresh build
8 > but it just seems like an extra step.
9
10 I was more thinking along sys admins being able to modify their acct-
11 ebuilds with static numbers. If you're bind-mounting already, why not
12 bind your portage (or local overlay) to children as well. 2 minute more
13 work for those who need it, but a lot easier to everyone else who don't
14 care :)
17 -- juippis