From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI Changes
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 15:47:11
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> posted 4A0DD0ED.1070108@g.o,
3 > excerpted below, on Fri, 15 May 2009 23:30:37 +0300:
4 >
5 >> Indeed there's no problem switching EAPIs as long as a stable Portage
6 >> supports the EAPI you are migrating to. Portage was buggy with this when
7 >> EAPI 2 was introduced but that has since been fixed.
8 >
9 > The case at hand is EAPI-0 > EAPI-1. I've no opinion there.
10 >
11 > However, just this last week I tracked down and provided a patch for an
12 > EAPI-0 > EAPI-2 conversion related bug[1] in an existing previously
13 > working ebuild, converted without a bump. It was and remained ~arch so
14 > users should have been prepared to cope, but a bump would have been nice
15 > and it would have been a SERIOUS mistake to try to do that as stable.
18 Well even with EAPI 2 it's quite hard to introduce breakage if you
19 actually test the changes. If you don't do proper testing, then the only
20 way to prevent breakage is to kick that developer out, no policy is
21 going to help. (I am not implying we should start kicking people out for
22 small mistakes though)
23
24 Regards,
25 Petteri