From: Matthew Marlowe <matt@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 2004.2 Feature Requests
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 00:37:32
1 > Hi all -
2 > To start preparing for 2004.2 in July, releng is opening up Feature
3 > Requests that the community would like to see included in 2004.2. The
4 > last day that we are accepting requests is Friday, May 7th at which
5 > point releng will hold a meeting and decide which requests are
6 > feasible for both the alloted time and workload.
7
8 The biggest issues I've had with current and prior gentoo releases is the kernel. I've configured a couple dozen dell boxes of different models over the last 6 months using 1.4, 2004.0, and 2004.1, and invariably one or more of the following occurs:
9
10 - smp kernel locks up completely during hardware detection.
11 - basic gentoo kernel runs, but doesn't always autodetect raid or network drivers
12 - forced migration to lvm2, because the kernel is configured in 2004.0 for lvm2
13 - 1-3 processors are idle during system installs because of various smp/apic issues
14
15 Most of these problems would go away if there was a simple documented way to allow users to substitute in their own kernels. Improving the QA process would help, of course, but I doubt the release eng team has time for this.
16
17 I know that the new catalyst system is supposed to make things easier, and I'm researching that now...but it definitly doesn't appear to be as simple as it could be. I'd really like to see future releases work out of the box for Dell servers.
18
19 Regards,
20
21 Matt