From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 08:29:38
1 On 4 April 2010 13:01, Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> wrote:
2 [...]
3 >> I am not pushing for our existing documentation to be migrated into a
4 >> wiki at this point. But I think that once the place is there, and it
5 >> functions well, it would be the obvious next step to do so. As I said
6 >> before, the barrier to contributing and maintaining documentation is
7 >> much higher in the case of GuideXML, so it doesn't really make sense
8 >> to keep that around when we have a better solution.
9 >>
10 >> I know there are people who do not agree with me on this last point
11 [... lots of good reasons to keep the documentation in GuideXML ...]
12
13 I think the docs team has put in a huge amount of effort for a long
14 time now to make well-formatted, easily readable documentation, and
15 there really isn't a wiki solution out there that is remotely
16 comparable.
17
18 GuideXML isn't that hard to pick up, and I'm sure the docs team would
19 be happy to help someone who's having trouble figuring out how to do
20 something with it. So I *really* don't see "ease-of-use" being a good
21 excuse for replacing GuideXML with a wiki. The difference in ease is
22 not that high.
23
24 [...]
25 > I ain't out to stop ya'll from using a wiki. I do agree that they have some advantages. However, I will point out how limited wikis are. They're not a magic bullet that will solve all our problems.
26
27 Again, I agree. We _should_ have a wiki for easy note-taking,
28 maintaining todo lists, possibly even meeting minutes. But our
29 official documentation should go through sufficient review and
30 formatting to make sure we maintain the quality of documentation that
31 we have had so far.
32
33 Cheers,
34 --
35 Arun Raghavan
36 http://arunraghavan.net/
37 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)